A student’s future shouldn’t be left to chance. We know when educators work closely with parents, families, and communities, the result is stronger public schools that prepare students for a successful future.
Are you wondering how you can get your community involved to advocate for great public schools for every student? We can help you not only get started but also keep the momentum going.
Family & Community Engagement Kit
The My School My Voice Family & Community Engagement Kit is your one-stop shop for everything local engagement. Here’s what’s included:
- Understanding the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): A Guide for Families Inform parents, families, and members of your community of their rights under federal law to use their voice to advocate for great public schools. This guide not only outlines ESSA and how families and communities can get involved but also provides ways in which to take action.
- Time for a Check Up! Use this worksheet to work with your colleagues and organize your thoughts. This will help you guide conversations and begin to build relationships with parents, families, and members of your community.
- Your Voice Matters Conversation Starters Don’t wait to discuss how ESSA will impact classrooms and students with your critical stakeholders. Use these talking points to kick off your conversation on a variety of topics.
- My School, My Voice Host Instructions Are you ready to host a meeting to discuss areas in which your school can grow and develop next steps? Follow this step-by-step meeting plan, including preparation guidelines and a sample agenda.
- How to Complete the Opportunity Checklist Collaborate with families and community leaders to assess the needs of your school/district by filling out the Opportunity Checklist. To help you get started, here are some helpful instructions.
- School Improvement in Your Community Check out our infographic on the school improvement process to help you complete the necessary steps before you develop an action plan.
You can request full copies of the Kit by e-mailing ESSAInfo@nea.org at least two weeks in advance of your desired delivery date. Supplies are limited, so don’t delay!
Great Public Schools Parent Guides
There are seven research-based criteria that define a great public school: school readiness; family and community engagement; workforce quality; standards and curriculum; school funding; accountability and assessments; and conditions of teaching and learning. We have created a series of quick guides to reference, each dedicated to one of the seven topics.
- School Readiness [English│Español]
- Family & Community Engagement [English│Español]
- Workforce Quality [English│Español]
- Standards & Curriculum [English│Español]
- School Funding [English│Español]
- Accountability & Assessments [English│Español]
- Conditions of Teaching and Learning [English│Español]
Students Need Our Voices Now
Collaboration among families, educators, and communities is at the heart of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). States and districts that accept federal funding must ensure that all stakeholders are involved in developing plans to educate all students, with a goal of improving the schools that need support.
Our collective input has the power to drive the success of our students and create great public schools.